9.23.2008

Adding Glaze Accents to the Doors

We found a color of an accent glaze that warmed up the painted doors and hoped to blend them into the existing oak and countertops that we are planning on installing. It is Valley Forge Brown from Benjamin Moore and we mixed it 1 parts paint to 5 parts latex glaze. The hard part was getting a straight bead of the the glaze in the crevices. It was looking very sloppy and we were very unhappy with it, until Dave thought of a solution! We taped with Delicate Surface 3M tape where we did not want the glaze to go, and with our fingers applied the glaze, then removed just enough to lighten it and removed it in between two crevices where we did not want it antiqued but could not fit the tape. First we removed it with our fingers, then with a dry painters rag then a wet one.

We are absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out! At first, I was just concentrating on how imperfect the process was, but then I turned away to do something else for a few minutes and came back to see the doors hung and I got a tear in my eye- I was so happy, and mostly very relieved that we are on the right track. Not that I doubted our ideas or Linda's advice, but until I could really see it in the house, I had a hard time visualizing it in our house.

The picture below shows one door with the glaze accents and one without. In our house, the one with the glaze is the winner!

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: